The Phase One X-Shutter used in the Phase One XT lens range, is now available for use with other Schneider and Rodenstock lenses.
What is the Phase One X-Shutter?
The Phase One X-Shutter is an electro-magnetic, leaf shutter mechanism used in the Phase One XT lenses.
It was born from the industrial performance and precision of the Phase One Reliance Shutter (Phase One Industrial division) and has been modified to meet the needs of the photographer using a field camera by replacing the Copal shutter.
The X-Shutter has been designed to work with the Phase One IQ digital backs and is integrated into the lenses for the Phase One XT camera system. It can only be operated by the IQ4 Infinity Platform.
What is a leaf shutter?
A leaf shutter utilises a set of blades, or leaves, that open and close when the shutter button is actuated to control the exposure time of your photo based on your shutter speed.
Why do we need the X-Shutter?
Copal shutters (left image above), first manufacturered in 1946 were widely used on large format photography lenses. Traditionally technical camera lenses (large format lenses) have been made of of two parts, the lens and a mechanical Copal shutter. These lenses were made up of a front and rear element, the lens was screwed on the shutter, both in the front and back, then the shutter attached to a lens board, which attached to the front of the camera. The Copal shutter provided shutter speed and aperture.
In 2013 the announcement was made that no more Copal shutters were going to be produced, which was a shock to large format photographers worldwide. Since then other shutter systems like the Rodenstock e-Shutter (by Sinar) has attempted to fill the pending Copal shutter gap, however were often complicated and bulky. The IQ3 100MP and IQ4 digital backs from Phase One incorporated an electronic shutter in the back, but that could be problematic (due it's scanning like technology) if something was moving through the shot. In 2019 there were no more new Copal shutters available.... step in the Phase One X-Shutter.
Remounting older lenses in X-Shutters
Many photographers who have been using technical of field camera like those from Cambo, ALPA, ARCA-SWISS and Linhof have a range of lenses that may be able to mounted into the X-Shutter. Many of these lenses still have sufficient resolving power (resolution) to produce beautiful images from the IQ4 100MP or the IQ4 150MP digital backs.
The Remount involves the addition of, or replacement with an X-Shutter onto an existing lens.
The shutter is connected to the IQ4 via one cable that runs from the lens to the IQ4 digital back.
Shutter controls are available via the IQ4's display and/or Capture One (when tethered)
Lenses that can be remounted in the X-Shutter
Many photographers who have been using technical of field camera like those from Cambo, ALPA, ARCA-SWISS and Linhof have a range of lenses that may be able to mounted into the X-Shutter
Lenses from Schneider Kreuznach that can be mounted in X-Shutter:
- Schneider Kreuznach APO-Digitar 47mm f5.6 XL (113mm image circle)
- Schneider Kreuznach APO-Digitar 60mm f5.6 XL (120mm image circle)
- Schneider Kreuznach APO-Digitar 72mm f5.6 L (90mm image circle)
- Schneider Kreuznach Macro APO-Digitar 80mm f5.6 M (80mm image circle)
- Schneider Kreuznach APO-Digitar 90mm f4.5 N (90mm image circle)
- Schneider Kreuznach APO-Digitar 100mm f5.6 N (100mm image circle)
- Schneider Kreuznach APO-Digitar 120mm f5.6 N (110mm image circle)
- Schneider Kreuznach Macro APO-Digitar 120mm f5.6 M (110mm image circle)
- Schneider Kreuznach APO-Digitar 120mm f5.6 ASPH (150mm image circle)
- Schneider Kreuznach APO-Digitar 150mm f5.6 N (110mm image circle)
- Schneider Kreuznach APO-Digitar 180mm f5.6 T (120mm image circle)
- Schneider Kreuznach APO-Digitar 210mm f5.6 T (120mm image circle)
Lenses from Rodenstock that can be mounted in X-Shutter:
- Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 23mm f5.6* (70mm image circle)
- Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 35mm f4 (70mm image circle)
- Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 60mm f4 (70mm image circle)
- Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 100mm f5.6 (70mm image circle)
- Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 32mm* f4 (90mm image circle)
- Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 40mm f4 (90mm image circle)
- Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 50mm* f4 (90mm image circle)
- Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 70mm* f5.6 (100mm image circle)
- Rodenstock HR Digaron-SW 90mm* f5.6 (120mm image circle)
* Note these lenses are available as Phase One XT lenses with full communication and functionality.
Only lenses listed that can be handled by Rodenstock or Schneider Service will be remounted into the X-Shutter.
All of these lenses are supported from the IQ4 digital back firmware.
X-Shutter Frequently asked questions:
The 23HR, 32HR, 50HR, 70HR and 90HR are available on the XT camera, will it be possible to rebuild my version of this lens into fully integrated XT lens panels?
- Fully integrated XT lenses are only available as Phase One products (23mm, 32mm, 50mm, 70mm, 90mm)
- Your lens can be remounted and can be retrofitted into XT and Cambo compatible lens panels with an external cable connection to facilitate communication and functionality. (These lenses will not have Rise/Fall setting recorded in the metadata)
Will new Rodenstock lenses be available for mounting in the X-Shutter?
- Many new Rodenstock HR lenses (including Tilt Swing versions of the lenses) will be available via Cambo and will be mounted in the X-Shutter. These will require the cable to communicate between the IQ4 digital back and lens.
Which situations are feasible applications of the X-Shutter Remount?
- Listed lenses in view camera use, on flat or recessed lensboards.
- Listed lenses mounted on Cambo WDS/WRS Lens panels.
- Listed lenses mounted on Cambo WRS T/S panels.
- These lenses continue working on their original camera design.
Will Remounted lenses be suitable for use on the Phase One XT ?
- Yes. Most Cambo WRS Lens panels are XT compatible. This brings the use of Tilt/Swing lens panels into the XT system.
- Additional cost for Retrofit into Tilt Swing Lens panel will apply.
Examples of lens setups (left to right)
- Cambo Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 40mm lens in X-Shutter on Cambo WRS-1600 camera with Phase One IQ4 digital back and connecting cable.
- Cambo Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 70mm lens in X-Shutter with Tilt Swing mount.
- Cambo Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 70mm lens in X-Shutter with Tilt Swing mount on Phase One XT camera with IQ4 digital back and connecting cable.
- Cambo Rodenstock HR Digaron-SW 90mm lens in X-Shutter on Cambo Ultima large format camera with IQ4 digital back and connecting cable.
Pricing & availability
Please contact us to check the eligibility of your lens and pricing to get it remounted in X-Shutter.
Melbourne 03 9091 2111
Sydney 02 7922 3833
Pricing & availability of new Cambo X-Shutter lenses
Cambo WRX-23 Rodenstock 23mm f5.6 HR Digaron-S Lenspanel
Cambo WRX-32 Rodenstock 32mm f4.0 HR Digaron-W Lenspanel
Cambo WRX-40 Rodenstock 40mm f4.0 HR Digaron-W Lenspanel
Cambo WRX-50 Rodenstock 50mm f4.0 HR Digaron-W Lenspanel
Cambo WRX-70 Rodenstock 70mm f5.6 HR Digaron-W Lenspanel
Cambo WRX-90 Rodenstock 90mm f5.6 HR Digaron-SW Lenspanel
Cambo WRX-138 Rodenstock 138mm f6.5 HR Digaron-SW Float (Long Barrel) Lenspanel
Cambo WRX-180S Rodenstock 180mm f5.6 HR Digaron-S (Long Helical / Short Barrel with Spacer) Lenspanel
Lenses mounted in Tilt & Swing Panels
Cambo WTSX-32 Rodenstock 32mm f4.0 HR Digaron-W Tilt/Swing Lenspanel
Cambo WTSX-40 Rodenstock 40mm f4.0 HR Digaron-W Tilt/Swing Lenspanel
Cambo WTSX-50 Rodenstock 50mm f4.0 HR Digaron-W Tilt/Swing Lenspanel
Cambo WTSX-70 Rodenstock 70mm f5.6 HR Digaron-W Tilt/Swing Lenspanel
Cambo WTSX-90 Rodenstock 90mm f5.6 HR Digaron-SW Tilt/Swing Lenspanel
Cambo WTSX-180S Rodenstock 180mm f5.6 HR Digaron-S (Long Helical / Short Barrel with Spacer) Tilt/Swing Lenspanel
Contact for more information.
Melbourne 03 9091 2111
Sydney 02 7922 3833